C’mon…who doesn’t? Who do you know that said I’m going to do X, Y & Z in the new year and actually stuck with it all year long? But there ARE things that are important to me and I’m going to TRY to include these things in my life more (or at all).
Let’s go through them quickly:
1. Have Lower Expectations. Sometimes we (and by “we” I mean “me”) can have expectations that are out of proportion with reality. Like…expecting my 2 and 3 years olds to act like little adults. Or…expecting that my hubs brings me flowers once a week. Or…expecting me to get on the treadmill every. single. day. In 2011, I’m going to work on ratcheting down those expectations. I think little successes will seem so much more wonderful this way, don’t you?
2. Be WAY More Patient. Well, my kids (especially my kids!), my hubs, my mom, my coworkers…they all deserve it. So I’m gonna give it the old college try.
3. Have Picnics. Many of the bedtime stories I tell Q & C are about great adventures that end in fun picnics and naps under the warm sun. I think we’ll do this more…even if it’s just in the backyard.
4. Work More on the Job. You know, it just seems right (says the Queen Of Procrastination and Slackerdom).
5. Date Night Once a Month: Our marriage deserves it. We rarely have date night…RARELY. We always feel bad asking the fam to watch the boys. I think we’ll have to get over it.
6. Exercise (no, seriously). Oh, hush up.
7. Relax More. And not the sit on ass in front of TV while surfing Facebook kind of relax either (tho it IS my perfected art form). Read, bubble baths, lay in hammock…THAT kind of relax.
8. S t r e t c h. The jelly came outta my jelly donut once (that’s laywoman’s terms for my L5 disc exploded into my nerve cavity, causing permanent nerve damage and I had surgery for it in 2007) and I don’t want anymore jelly explosions…even tho L4 is NOT cooperating. Stretching & physical therapy exercises are on the daily agenda in 2011.
9. Be More Thankful for my Blessings & Less Envious of What Others Have. We don’t try to keep up with the Joneses per se. Unless you consider every finished house on HGTV the Joneses. Then maybe we do. But really…we’re about as blessed as they come. Two beautiful, healthy sons, a loving and supportive family, great house, lots of room to move, all the consumer trappings one could want…blah, blah, blah. I want to enjoy it more.
10. Dance. Just ’cause it’s fun. Especially with my boys. Thankfully they love 90s club/dance tunes too.
There it is. We’ll see how I do.